I very much enjoyed the process of making my Found Footage video. I struggled at first, Found Footage is not easy to find. However, looking through a few key databases, I found what I needed. Having limited access to footage I could use, definitely helped narrow down the possible themes of the project. I chose a more past-facing project because they were the most accessible under copyright laws. Since they are older they also feature more foundational concepts in cinema which might offer a more interesting critique. More specifically a critique of gender roles and relationships through the lens of horror. I wondered if horror is supposed to portray the worst of man, how it would portray a love story?
I did not nearly have as much fun with the creation of the visual metaphor video. When planning out the concept behind the film I had more belief in the project. When I actually started making it, however, I realized that my feet walking is not a very visually interesting shot. At this point, though there was nothing to do but push forward. I chose to take a more experimental approach to this film focusing not so much on the narrative as much as the visual concept of the journey. This project exposed key weaknesses in my ability to plan a shot
I thought that my approaches to these two pieces of media were completely different. In my Found Footage Video, I didn't have to think about creating anything from scratch. It was almost like looking through a flea market for bits and pieces of other clothes to upcycle. If there was anything that I could control it was my editing. It was a lesson in precision and timing. My Visual process in creating my metaphor video was completely different. I felt much more control, but I put myself into a box that I could have built off of more creatively. Through both projects, though I learned something valuable.